Able Health Care
Able Health Care currently operates two registered children’s homes in Suffolk. We have a commitment to helping and preparing young people to grow and develop into adulthood, through building positive relationships and living and learning together within nurturing homes.
Liberty Lodge cares for up to 6 young people and is located a short distance from Ipswich Town Centre. Fern Lodge cares for up to 4 young people and is located in Leiston, close to the Suffolk Coast. The children we care for are aged 9-17 with Social, emotional, mental health, and behavioural difficulties.
Liberty Lodge is rated Outstanding in all areas and Fern Lodge is rating Good in all areas.Adjacent to Liberty Lodge, and also part of Able Healthcare, is a registered independent school for up to 6 pupils.
Able Healthcare are committed to safer recruitment and safeguarding the children and young people in our care to the highest standard. All appointments will be made using robust recruitment procedures and will involve and be subject to enhanced DBS checks and vetting.
What we are looking for
Able Healthcare are looking for applicants who are enthusiastic and have a desire to support children and young people who have additional needs.
Applicants may have experience of working with children who present behavioural challenges, possibly those with additional mental health and wellbeing needs, Autism or ADHD, however this is not essential.
The successful candidate will have an empathetic and understanding nature, and a desire to aid children in achieving their aspirations.
You will have resilience and be able to manage challenging behaviour in a caring and considered manner.
As a waking night residential support worker, you will work as part of the staff team to achieve the statement of purpose of the children’s home. You will monitor and maintain the safety of the home overnight, supported by a sleep in member of staff. You will support in any behaviour management during the night and liaise with the on call manager as required. You will support the day team in maintaining the home and expectations. You will play a proactive role in supporting children overnight if they require this, and provide a clear handover to the team in the morning so that any follow up support can be implemented.
• To contribute to the provision of a sensitive and therapeutic residential service for the young people which best meets their social, psychological, educational, cultural, physical and health needs
• To ensure the care given to the young people reflects the Statement of Purpose
• To provide advice, guidance and support to young people in maintaining the boundaries and structures in place and adhering to the organisation’s expectations
• To carry out domestic tasks to maintain reasonable levels of hygiene and maintenance and ensure that the building remains in a reasonable condition
• To attend relevant meetings
• To empower young people in positive decision making
• To role model good practice always
• To offer support in implementing the activities program in place
• To support in general administration tasks
• To support the care planning and behaviour management of children in the home
• To ensure that the events of the shift are all accurately recorded in the logbook and that incident forms and young people’s logs contain all the relevant information
• To always ensure confidentiality
• To demonstrate commitment to personal development, e.g. through undertaking training.
• To be in contact with parents, social services, or other relevant authorities as appropriate in a professional manner
• To effectively lead the night shift, managing any incidents which occur with support from the on call manager
• To be able to lone work safely and use supervision to reflect on performance
• Well-developed written and verbal communication
• Behaviour management skills and knowledge of safeguarding
• Ability to manage unexpected situations
• Driving license
• Level 3 Diploma Children’s Workforce (or commitment to undertaking this qualification)
• Enthusiastic disposition
• Committed to achieving best outcomes for children
• Flexible in achieving objectives
• Demonstrated commitment to ongoing personal development
• Proactive and solution focused
• Loyal and committed